Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Comparative Analysis

Not a total analysis, but a quick rundown of games that kids play that I'm aware of, and their associated ages. Maybe listing it will help me get my thoughts organized.

Uno is a card game rated for ages 7+. Judging by its extreme popularity (over one million purchases on Xbox Live Arcade, for example), it certainly appeals to people much older than 7 as well. It claims to support 2-10 players

Clue is a board game for ages 8+, and it was my favorite board game growing up. The players must use logic and process of elimination. It supports 2-6 or 3-6 players. It didn't really have any strategy in it, but there was a large revision to the game last year that I may decide to look into.

Monopoly supports 2-8 players, and rated for kids 8+. It's an iconic game, but I don't think it's very good.

Candy Land says it's good for 2-4 players from the ages of 1 to 100. Cute. This game has zero skill involved. It's all luck to see who can traverse the 134 squares first. No decision making.

Snakes and ladders (2+ layers, ages 3+) is similar but requires the ability to count.

No comments:

Post a Comment