Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Considering a change

Not a huge change, but it is something I'm thinking about. After doing some more research, I'm just not sure kids 7-10 might not be sophisticated enough to really grasp a game in that way. A number of childrens' games are based entirely on luck, with no decision making, and these games don't derive fun from strategy and the like, but from trying to count out steps, that sort of thing.

I need to go down to Toys R Us and look at the board games or something, figure out the target ages, what sorts of mechanics exist there, and decide if what I'm aiming for is too complicated.

Or I could acknowledge my initial target audience and "design down" to them, and use simpler mechanics.

Something that comes to mind is a "Race" style game where the players try to work together to beat the rules, personified as some kind of token, and they play cards together to try to defeat it.

It's not as sophisticated as I was hoping to create, but it might be better for the scope of this project.

I'll have to do some research, but I'll either have to aim for an older age group, or I'll have to design down to that age group.

No comments:

Post a Comment